Proxy.sh is based in Seychelles and has staff spread around several countries. They provide an online privacy service with a wide selection of server locations. The VPN service supports OpenVPN in their client along with PPTP and L2TP protocol for manual set up on your systems and mobile devices. Proxy.sh offers a wide range of accounts based on usage and speed. We prefer their Solid plan which costs $10 a month.
- Proxy.SH offers a free VPN client for Windows. The software is called Safejumper. It helps you connect to any of their server locations in 41 countries. Connect to any server with a single click using their simple OpenVPN client.
- VPN Settings – the settings section of Safejumper will let you select a desired server location along with port number.
- Additional features – you can manually set the Safejumper client to launch at login, connect at launch, re-connect when a connection drops, display all individual node servers and automatically connect when using unsecured wireless networks.
- We only tested the Windows app. They have a Mac client as well that works with both 32 and 64 bit Mac OS X.
- iPhone, iPad, Android – Proxy.sh also developed Safejumper apps for iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) and Android devices. The mobile apps are available free for members.
VPN Server Locations
- Proxy.sh offers 242 VPN servers across 41 different countries for members to connect. Remember that you can easily switch between server locations anytime.
- VPN Server Locations:
- United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Moldova, Netherlands, New Zealand, Panama, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey and Ukraine.
Proxy.sh Performance Testing
- United States speed test – after connecting to a VPN server in Atlanta we tested our Internet speed and found it to be 32.57 Mbps download and 3.99 Mbps upstream.
- United Kingdom speed test – we also tested a connection to a VPN server in London and our Internet speed was 14.59 Mbps download and 4.15 Mbps upstream.
- Conclusion – Proxy.sh performed well in both our US and UK speed tests. Note: you can expect any VPN to slow your connection some as the traffic is being encrypted.
Operating System and Browser Compatibility
- As mentioned above their VPN supports multiple protocols including OpenVPN, PPTP and L2TP. By doing so they offer support for a wide range of users.
- System compatibility – Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP), Mac OS X (Tiger, Leopard, Snow) and Linux.
- Mobile compatibility – iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Android.
- Browser compatibility – Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome and Opera.
Proxy.sh Pricing & Special Offers
- Proxy.sh offers four different plans. They are based on the length of your term, server access and desired speed.
- Solid (40 countries) – $10 a month or $90 a year
- Dedicated (best speed) – $25 a month or $249 a year
- Basic (5 countries) – $5 a month or $40 a year
- Quick (2 countries) – $2 for 3 days
- We tested Proxy.sh with a Solid account.
We used the Safejumper OpenVPN client along with manually configuring connections for testing. Proxy.sh offers a wide range of server locations with the Solid plan. Along with their free VPN software and mobile apps. While they have several VPN plans to choose from I recommend the Solid plan with access to all 40 countries. That’s the plan we used to test the service and the performance was good in both the US and UK.