IronSocket is an online proviacy service headquartered in Hong Kong with servers worldwide. They manage a network of VPN servers in 36 countries and growing. With support for OpenVPN, PPTP and L2TP protocols. They do not offer a custom VPN client but you can use openVPN Connect and manually set up other protocols with detailed instructions and guides available on the IronSocket website.
IronSocket is very competitive in terms of price. They offer a single plan with unlimited access to their network. Prices start at $6.99 a month with additional term discounts on six month and annual sign ups.
IronSocket VPN servers
- IronSocket supports mutiple VPN protocols including OpenVPN, PPTP and L2TP. For those unfamiliar OpenVPN is more secure and great for connecting from PC or Mac. While PPTP / L2TP extends compatibility to mobile devices including iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android phones / tablets.
- Their network includes 52 VPN servers across 36 different countries. Let’s take a look at each VPN server location they have to offer. Remember you can switch locations any time you want and each server supports all VPN protocols.
- VPN Server Locations:
- United States, United Kingdom, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Philippines, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Ukraine.
- iPhone, iPad, Android – connect to any VPN server via PPTP / L2TP. Server addresses are on the IronSocket network page.
IronSocket Performance Testing
- United States speed test – after connecting to a VPN server in Atlanta we tested our Internet speed and found it to be 10.04 Mbps download and 7.96 Mbps upstream.
- United Kingdom speed test – we also tested a connection to a VPN server in London and our Internet speed was 9.09 Mbps download and 3.81 Mbps upstream.
- Conclusion – IronSocket performed well in both our US and UK speed tests. Note: you can expect any VPN to slow your connection some as the traffic is being encrypted.
Operating System and Browser Compatibility
- As mentioned above their VPN supports mutiple VPN protocols including OpenVPN, PPTP and L2TP. By doing so they offer support for a wide range of users. In addition members receive a free proxy account. You can use 1 active IP for each.
- System compatibility – Windows (7, Vista, XP), Mac OS X (Tiger, Leopard) and Android.
- Mobile compatibility – iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Android devices.
- Browser compatibility – Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome and Opera.
IronSocket Pricing & Special Offers
- IronSocket offers unlimited access to their network. Their pricing is based on term. With the deepest savings for annual sign ups.
- Unlimited VPN – $6.99 a month
- Unlimited VPN – $36.95 for 6 months
- Unlimited VPN – $49.95 a year
IronSocket is a solid VPN service. They offer access to a large network of servers for a very reasonable price. They only thing we can see that they lack is a custom VPN client. That’s where they fall behind some of our favorite providers. Otherwise you can use OpenVPN Connect and manual configuration to use the service. Their network was reliable and speeds were about average. I feel comfortable recommending IronSocket.