LiquidVPN launched their online privacy service in 2013. They offer unlimited VPN access at a reasonable price. Member privacy is their top priority. The LiquidVPN client offers a wide range of protocols and IP types. With add-on scripts to provide more advanced options. IP modulation and the option to add a static IP are our favorite features.
- LiquidVPN offers three different accounts. The difference being the number of connections. The Sidekick comes with 2 connections, Road warrior with 4 and the Ultimate plan with up to 8 devices.
- Sidekick (2 devices) – $7 a month or $57 a year (32% off)
- Road Warrior (4 devices) – $10 a month or $69 a year (43% off)
- Ultimate (8 devices) – $18 a month or $106 a year (51% off)
LiquidVPN Client Software
- We tested the LiquidVPN Windows client. They also offer software for Mac and Android. Along with guides for a number of other devices.
- The client supports multiple VPN protocols including OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP and SSTP. For those unfamiliar OpenVPN is more secure and great for connecting from PC, Mac or Linux. While PPTP and L2TP extend compatibility to mobile devices including iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android phones / tablets.
- Mobile – LiquidVPN has an easy to use Android app. They provide set up guides for iOS and DD-WRT routers.
VPN Server Locations
- Server locations: United States (Chicago, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York. Washington DC), United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, Netherlands, Romania, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland.
- LiquidVPN supports multiple VPN protocols including OpeVPN, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP and SSTP. They also support multiple IP types including dynamic, static and shared IP addresses. Static IP’s are an add-on available in select server locations.
- Dynamic connections have port forwarding enabled. Shared connections are all firewalled for additional protection.
- Members can use their client to connect to different locations using TCP or UDP. Along with different ports and IP types. They are the only VPN provider that offers modulating IP’s.
- We were very thorough in testing the speed of LiquidVPN. They offer a number of OpenVPN connection options. Including TCP vs. UDP and the type of IP address (shared, dynamic modulating). We tested every option other than static IP which is an add-on.
- During our testing the fastest speeds were achieved using their VPN server in Manassa, VA which is close to Washington DC. For the best results we chose a shared IP address and UDP to connect in the client. Doing so we were able to achieve a download speed of 57.40 Mbps.
- For the United Kingdom we went with the same selections for the fastest performance. Choosing a shared IP address and UDP to connect. We were able to get a download speed of 37.17 Mbps.
- LiquidVPN offers a lot of options. For the best performance we recommend OpenVPN, shared IP, UDP. For the best privacy we recommend their modulating IP option. Modulating IP is available for their servers in the United States and Romania.
Operating System Compatibility
- As mentioned above LiquidVPN supports multiple VPN protocols including OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, and SSTP. By doing so they offer support for a wide range of users.
- System compatibility – supports Windows (10, 8, 7, Vista, XP), Mac OS X and Linux (Ubuntu).
- Mobile compatibility – supports iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android devices.
- Browser compatibility – supports Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome and Opera.
We enjoyed testing LiquidVPN. In the past the service was best suited for those with some technical knowledge. That isn’t the case anymore. Their new client software and Android app give everyone the chance to use LiquidVPN. Regardless of your technical abilities. LiquidVPN has a lot to offer including modulating IP, a wide selection of client connection options. Their prices are fair and they offer discounts on annual sign ups.