Highlights of the VPN Gate service:
- volunteer VPN relay servers
- OpenVPN, PPTP and L2TP
- SoftEther VPN client used
- Windows, Mac OS/X, Linux
- iPhone, iPad, Android devices
- Connection logs are stored
- Homepage: http://www.vpngate.net/
VPN server locations:
- Based on volunteers currently connected
- OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, SSL
- The service uses SoftEther VPN client
IP address support:
- Shared IP
VPN account types:
- VPN Gate keeps connection logs.
VPN service details:
- VPN Gate is managed by the University of Tsukuba, Japan. The same team that developed the open source SoftEther VPN client. The VPN Gate project uses SoftEther to connect to public VPN relay servers. The service keeps connection logs and will share them with authorities if necessary. You can decide whether or not that’s a deal breaker. If not you’ll like that VPN Gate is free. You can connect to any of the servers listed on their site. Remember the project is supported by volunteers so don’t be surprised if a server goes down while you’re connected. At the time of our review they had over 5,300 VPN relay servers listed on the site. The project is already making an impact and should continue as long as volunteers support the service. I still prefer the premium VPN providers based on performance and privacy but if you are looking for a free alternative then VPN Gates is worth checking out.
Free VPN trial:
- The service is provided free and supported by the public.
- You could ask questions in their user forum
- VPN Gate – free